Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
The CDC has unveiled a new Web site(www.cdc.gov) which focuses on public health preparedness and emergency response. It is the official federal Web site for medical, laboratory and public health professionals to reference for providing public information on updates and protocols related to health threats such as anthrax. It offers user-friendly categories requested by target audiences such as clinicians. The site was created as a response to overwhelming public demand in the wake of the recent anthrax crisis.
In October, CDC had the most visited federal Web site, registering more than 9.1 million unique visits.
National Pharmaceutical Stockpile
The NPS is a large reserve of antibiotics, chemical antidotes and other medical supplies set aside for emergencies. The CDC reports that it has the capacity to move these stockpiled materials to affected areas in the U.S. within 12 hours of notification. There are a number of different stockpiles, strategically located around the country. In addition to the medical supplies already set aside, the federal government has made agreements with drug manufacturers to make large amounts of additional emergency medicine.
Plague Training Module
This web-based module is designed to teach the natural epidemiology of plague and how to manage it as both a natural disease and an intentional attack. The content is presented in a series of eight lessons to be completed in the order that they appear. You will learn how to:
- Identify where plague occurs naturally in order to recognize possible bioterrorism.
- Identify patient symptoms that will lead to a diagnosis of bubonic, pneumonic, or septicemic plague.
- Rule out other diseases when diagnosing plague.
- Identify the appropriate specimens to obtain in order to diagnose plague.
- Describe the medical management of confirmed plague cases.
- Describe the public health response needed for naturally occurring versus bioterrorist plague.
- Describe the diagnosis of plague in animals.
Public Health Preparedness
Continuation Guidance for Cooperative Agreement on Public Health
Preparedness and Response for Bioterrorism – Budget Year Five
Provides UPDATED links to Notice and Guidance documents for the Cooperative Agreement on Public Health Preparedness and Response for bioterrorism.